Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Egg Layer Order

I needed a major distraction for the kids this past weekend. I think (hope!) the flu is finally clearing out after a nearly two week stay. Oh, it has been a looong two weeks! So the other day I got out the chick order form from our local farm supply store and the Meyer Hatchery catalog and handed them out. I told the older three kids to decide on six new laying chicks.

They were beyond ecstatic.

Nothing breaks up cabin fever and that sick, tired feeling quicker than paging through a catalog filled with pretty chicken pictures and debating breeds. They decided on this:



2 Jersey Giants
2 Buff Orpingtons
2 Araucanas

The Jersey Giants will be new to us this year. The Buffs are a fave, the kids LOVE them and we are down to one right now. Can't have that. I freak out if I can't find that ONE chicken because everyone loves her. So we need more. We have 2 Araucanas already too, but we need more. Love those green eggs!

The new gals are due to arrive in early May. Before then we will have to figure out how best to integrate them into our existing flock. We have two separate coops right now and I believe the new girls will eventually be housed with the younger flock, the one with the rooster. Hopefully his presence will ease the transition a bit. I will also be doing a ton of research on how best to add new chickens, because I research the heck out of everything. I am tiresome like that;) I do know that we will likely be constructing some sort of small-scale addition to the current coop. This will give the younger chickens their own outdoor space until they are ready to mingle.

If I can keep them from killing each other, I'll consider it a success.  It's important to have lofty goals, right?

The Self Sufficient HomeAcre

1 comment:

  1. You can combine your chickens without too much trouble. Let them see each other through fencing for a while first. They'll figure it out eventually :)
    Thanks for sharing this on The HomeAcre Hop! Hope to see you this evening at:
    http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2013/03/the-homeacre-hop-10.html

    ReplyDelete