Monday, March 25, 2013

Homemade Granola

We had a sick kid on the mend this past week, which meant more at-home & inside time than usual. I am looking forward to getting back into our normal routine this week~ and really hoping the rest of us will stay healthy~! With a little extra home-time I was able to fit in a couple of fun things I'd been meaning to try. Like this...



I made granola!  I have always wanted to try this and now I don't know what took me so long! It is easy and fun to make and most of the kids actually like it, though there have been some complaints about 'too many nuts', so I may have to tweak the recipe here and there.

Here's how I did it.

Homemade Granola Ingredients:

4 cups rolled oats
1 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup maple syrup or honey
2 tablespoons canola oil
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup chopped dried fruit (I used currants and apricots)

Homemade Granola Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine all but dried fruit in a large bowl and toss to combine. Spread mixture in a large baking pan or rimmed cookie sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes, stirring once or twice. Remove from oven, mix in dried fruit. Let cool and store.

Making granola is going to become a regular thing around here, I think! And I think this recipe is up next.

No comments:

Post a Comment